Thursday, April 13, 2006

Gyeongju tashi kaja






Means lets go to Gyeongju again, and I did! So much better this time around, as you can see from the pics. A few of my friends chickened out at the last minute, so it was just me and a coworker. Everyone else had the same idea, though, so we were stuck in traffic for almost an hour on the way in! But once we got into the city area it was easy going. Apparently there is another city southwest of Busan which has even more cherry blossom trees, but my coworker said that place would be way too packed with people.

Another funny thing that I forgot about, but which my coworker (Katy - she's Korean) noticed, was all the people staring at me. I've learned to turn that off for the most part, as I was paying attention to the surroundings. But once she mentioned that, I started looking at people and so many would be staring at me, and staring at her wondering what she was doing walking around with me lol! Its not that they are rude, they just do not see many foreigners, so they get a good look when they can. And I didn't see any other foreigners while I was in Gyeongju that day.

On the way out, traffic was a breeze. This was about 3 or 4pm. The inbound lane was backed up a few miles! Then again its only 2 lanes each way. OK, I'm rambling so just look at the pics :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent pics... for a moment Nat'l Geographic came to mind.
When you say it was "cold" on your first trip, what temp was it? So you were the "tourist attraction." Do the locals ever come up to you and try to communicate? Or is that rare or never? Great post!
Daddy-O

Anonymous said...

Absolutely goregeous! And I imagine the air smelled sweet as well. I'm glad you had a chance to go at that time -- something you'll never forget! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

AHN-NYUNG HA-SEH-YO
CHEE-ZH KAANG-AH-JEE!
(Hello Cheese Puppy!)
Sajin jom chigo juseyo?
(Will you take my picture?)
namdongsaeng (younger brother)
I had Sushi the other day! It reminded me of how I'm looking forward to many enjoyable Hapkido battles with you when you come home. Bballi Bballi! Kapsida! (Hurry Up! Let's go!)

Anonymous said...

Nice pics Jon!
I set the last one as my background on my computer at work.

Leighton