Saturday, June 17, 2006

World Cup Fever






I know the World Cup is not really a big deal in US, but Koreans are fanatics about it! Ever since 2002, when they hosted the event, they get into a high-pitch fever about it. Randomly in class, kids will chant for Korea. The chant is "Day Han Mean Gook! clap clap! clap clap! clap!" Everyone knows it, and it didn't take me long to learn it. All the kids are wearing red shirts, supporting their team. Even businesses make their employees all wear the same shirt on certain days.

So Tuesday I went to see their first game against Togo. Korea eventually won 2-1. At the bar, at least half the people had red shirts on, including our group. They must've done the daehan mingoook cheer over 100 times during the game. At the end, the people went crazy! Our group went outside to see the streets filled with people, all in red shirts, some with red light-up horns on their heads. No cars could get past, they had to turn around. People were climbing up on telephone booths and subway entrance tunnels. Police arrived eventually, but they didn't need to do much, because Koreans are so well behaved. They just gently direct the crowds and the people know well enough. No fires, no tipping cars, no vandalism; just loud people filling the streets. Very interesting to watch; I doubt such a scene could happen back home. Any large gatherings I was witness to back in college ended in huge fires in the middle of the road, burning cars and furniture, and tear gas and riot police... Go Broncos!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not how they would have handled a win in Madison ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time, Jon!

Jo Lene said...

I caught that match on TV but can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like being right in the middle of all that action!

Yes! Go Broncos!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon, It's me your Aunt Lorene from Madison.....I agree it would had definately taken a more physical approach to the police arrival, to say the least.
How are ya? I went to Neillsville last Sat. For Mark's 60TH birthday party. Pig roast. Lots of fun. Jason was able to make it too. Played a round of golf with him and your dad Sunday. Great fun, after went to your house where your Mom made us a fab breakfast. Celebrated your Dad's birthday also. Hope all is well with you. I love the Intrepid. Al has kind given it to me. He refers to it as our family road car. TOO FUNNY!
I love you.
email me!!! duchess_i_m@yahoo.com