Monday, November 27, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!!; Japan






Well, the holiday came and went here in Busan, not much to talk about. I did go out to eat with some friends at a place called Seamen's club. Its basically a diner type place, with Koreans working there who generally speak good English. It looks like a stuffy '50s restaurant, and the food was mediocre, but it was nice to eat turkey, and see some familiar faces.

Also I included some pics from a trip to Japan. Compared to Korea, Japan is much cleaner, and more expensive. People dress nicer and are actually smaller than Koreans. I wasn't in a big city (Fukuoka, approx. 1.5 million ppl) but it was a nice city. I actually had to go 3 times, 2 more than expected. Why so many times, and why go there? I had to go for my work visa, so I don't get deported or get caught working illegally. Anyway, I basically didn't realize all of what I had to do to make things work efficiently. First time there I missed my boat back by like 10 minutes, because a taxt dropped me off at the wrong ferry terminal (I take the boat there: 3 hrs, $90) Second time I didn't make it to the Korean consulate on time, so I had to stay the night anyway, and they make you wait a day for the visa. Couple years ago it used to be you could get it done in one day. All it is is fill out a form, have a small picture. Boring stuff. So, my second trip I couldn't find a hotel room, because there was some kind of conference in town. So I went to over 20 hotels trying to find a room, walked the streets all night and tried to take a nap on a cold concrete bench. Not the best night, but it could've been worse.

Third time was the trick! Got the paperwork done, went out to a few bars, stayed in a nice hotel (in the pics) and did everything on time. And I dont plan on going back anytime soon! But I think I'll try to plan a trip next spring to another country around here, since I'm close. And my friend John pushes me to do these things because its a good experience. So we'll see how that pans out. Enjoy the holiday shopping!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Sorry to hear about Japan and sleeping on a bench! What a bummer!! Must be hard to get around when you don't speak the languages and probably can't read the languages either. How is that coming??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I never been..
***
Jak sie masz?


Air Travel America Bank Mortgage
Business List Atlantic City Air Show Afford Can Home I Loan Much
Ambrosia Catering
Back Leg Pain
====









Carpet Cleaning Flowery Branch
Personal Finances
Find A Pediatric Dentist
Baby Blanket
Dentist San Francisco
Brown Church In Little Vale
Hvac Diffuser
Affiliste Program SalesCalgary Civil Lawyer Litigation
2 Drawer File Cabinet
Discount Travel Online
Mortgage Financing Online
--------------
Qosh sau bolyngdar

Anonymous said...

Ahlen

I'm glad!

Niak sohk sabai jie te?

Car Insurance Los Angeles General Contractor Scranton Plastic Bag Supplier Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Heating And Air Unit
Bad Credit Louisiana Mortgage
New Select Times York
Bad Credit Loan Mortgage Rate Prescription Drug Addiction
Chao ong