Monday, May 19, 2008

Taipei






Last month I took a little trip to Taipei. I had a 4 day weekend at work, so I wanted to take advantage of the little vacation time I have and go visit my friend John who lives there. He used to live in Busan and has now been in Taiwan for several months, learning Chinese at a University.

Anyway it was a 3 hour train to Seoul, 1 hour bus to the airport, and 2 1/2 hour flight, 1 hour time difference. Taiwan is more tropical than Korea. Everyday I was there it was in the high 70s to low 80s and partly cloudy. I went on a Saturday and came back Tuesday. Didn't have much time for sightseeing, unfortunately, so only a few pictures...

The green building is the 101, which is currently the world's tallest building at 508 meters. My only real sightseeing day was Monday, so I went to the tower. Unfortunately it was rainy the whole day, and visibility from the top of the tower was poor and I couldn't go to the top floor, so I just went through the first few floors. Floors 1-4 are filled with top end retailers of clothes, accessories, jewelry, etc; beautiful building.

Taipei reminded me a lot of Japan; similar grid layout of the streets, densely populated. I also found people to be more polite than in Korea. People would wait to give you right of way, in cars and on scooters and bicycles. In Korea, they just go first and don't always look, either expecting you to stop or the idea of "if I don't see you, then you're not there". Actually the driving in Korea is pretty bad; I might have mentioned about this before. Changing lanes with no signal, drifting between lanes at will. The mentality here is expect that everyone on the road is a bad driver and act accordingly.

The subway in Taipei was clean and quiet. Also less staring than in Korea, which was a nice change. It seems in some ways Japan's colonialism had more effect in Taiwan than in South Korea. I didn't get down to too many details with the locals in Taipei, but generally the older Koreans hate Japan because of the colonialist atrocities (comfort women etc) and Japan erased this period from their history books and will not apologize. One one website I read about that talks about hatred against GIs stationed in Seoul, sometimes admitting guilt about something here leads the the accuser to hurl more punishment at the accused; you were wrong and now I hit you more. Totally backwards from the western view.

Overall I found Taipei very nice and enjoyable; would love to visit again. I enquired about the English teaching there, but Korea still pays the best. Four days is only a honeymoon period though; not enough time to get a well-rounded impression.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! History and pictures -- wonderful!! Too bad about the weather, but I did not realize South Korea had the tallest building in the world. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your mini-vacation! I hope you're able to go back again for a longer visit...with less cloudy skies :)

Unknown said...

No, Taipei has the tallest building in the world :-)

Anonymous said...

I'd say this trip was the sort of thing you wanted to do... see more of the world & other NEW things.

Really liked your trip narrative, was almost like being there your(my)self. Your pictures are always good, but these were even better.

Daddy-O

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Of course it's Taipei that has the tallest building -- duh! Sorry. It was a Monday! Your blog had great information even if I was momentarily confused!

Anonymous said...

That building is the tallest until the one in Dubai is finished. It makes me happy to know our skyrocketing gas prices are helping those more deserving over in the middle east. Almost forgot what you looked like hehe. Keep getting the culture. You never know when it may come in handy.