Sunday, September 25, 2005

Adjusting

This week, after a few days of drinking out at bars with other foreigners, I became sick somewhere along the line. Since we had Monday off for a Holiday (which is pronounced ChewSuck) I just sat around and watched a movie and stuff. By the end of the movie I felt terrible. Went to the doctor the next day and he diagnosed me with an upper respiratory tract infection. Said it was due to my adjusting to the Korean culture. Whatever truth there is to that, or to my drinking, I don't know. I thought I was just really dehydrated because my kidneys hurt and the back of my head hurt.

So I missed two more days of school laying in bed, sweating out whatever illness was there. I also got a shot in the ass and took pills with meals. As an aside, my total cost for the prescription and the doctor visit, without insurance, was less than $20! Thats affordable healthcare.

By Thursday I was ready to go back to school, and I felt much better. But while I was down, I asked myself, What the hell am I doing here? Maybe I should go back home and get a real job. Even other foreigners here mentioned how easy life is here, and some have had their relatives refer to their current job as a situation, not a career. I even thought about how I could move back to Ann Arbor and get a job there, and get busy with my electronic music.

But I'm still here. I prayed and asked for an answer, and told myself I would wait. In the meantime I went to a downtown area of Busan yesterday with a girl. It was okay, but I also found out where all the hot women are! We were under the streets, where there is much shopping, and it was about 90% women, no joke! So I have to venture out more. There's just the issue of that silly Korean language...

No comments: