Saturday, October 01, 2005

Speech Contest



Friday we had a speech contest for out students, a test of their memory and speaking ability, basically. I decided I would take the opportunity to dress nicely today, so I wore a tie and nice shirt and pants. They all seemed to like it, and some students said "Very handsome!" It was funny. But I felt fine, because I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

So I finally got a picture of my fellow teachers. From the left, they are: Belle, Isabelle, Katy and Elle. Like the names? Its a little ridiculous, but it didn't take long for me to figure them out. Katy and Elle are pretty good at English; I can usually speak at my normal pace with Elle, and usually with Katy. I've been out drinking with all but Belle, she is a bit older and has a family. Katy spent a year in the states, so she is becoming a very good friend, and is kinda setting me up with her best friend, Jenny. So I'll keep ya posted on how that works out.

Also this is a picture of a Buddhist temple. I thought it was a swaztika but apparently its a backwards swaztika. But I took a picture anyway. I think they're secret Nazis, promoting consciousness and well-being as they brainwash you to believe that Koreans are the master race. Its all over TV, Koreans are very proud of their country, much more than Americans are of the US. Koreans have much national pride and they want to be seen as a positive country weith much to offer.

One thing I love about Korea is most places have heated floors, hence they prefer to sit on the ground for most things, especially eating. I don't care for eating on the ground, but it feels good when my place has a heated floor, because my feet and calves always get cold first. They invented heated floors back in the 1400s, or maybe earlier. Its much more efficient that the western system of a fireplace or HVAC. I watched a documentary on it. And once again, the Koreans boasted about their founding of this wonderful system. It is great, but its still humorous to watch their pride.

1 comment:

Jo Lene said...

Hey hun, very handsome indeed. :)